Portfolio Manager and 401K or IRA type accounts

General Discussions and Announcements

Portfolio Manager and 401K or IRA type accounts

Postby pete » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:20 pm

I have tried to set my "defined contribution plan" up 3 separate ways. None of them worked out or were accurate. So I'm still stuck using my Excel spreadsheet to track my investments.
I tried the following:
With the securities as Stocks, Mutual Funds, and Money Market. The closest one to actually getting things right was as a Money Market, because I could force the exact dollar amount. Because of this the share prices are wrong though.
Please take everything to 4 decimal places (or give us the option to select this). When setting up the investment, my "Total" is rounded two 2 decimal places. While your documentation led me to believe this is a display only thing, I believe the calculations are rounded as well. This throws everything out of whack for me. I need everything to four decimals.

Here is my situation,

I have investments that I would like to track. These are part of a "defined contribution plan" similar to a 401K. Within this single account, I have the ability to move within individual funds a few times a month. Mine is basic with only 5 funds to choose from, I know other companies can have 30 or more. None of these individual funds are listed on a stock exchange, though they do mimic (as indexed funds). This is probably a pretty common thing for most folks fortunate enough to have a job with a larger company (in the USA at least).

Are you developing anything that will be helpful toward this? I can track the market on the internet already, but I do enjoy the tools you provided for this and use them. Could you (or are you) developing something that allows us to input (ingest from a file) our own data? I have years of share prices for all the funds I invest in. This would allow me to track the performance of my investments. I'm already doing this in an Excel spreadsheet.

To summarize...
- I need to have under a single investment account, the ability to enter my own data for share purchases of multiple indexed funds.
- The ability to transfer money from one fund to another (sell shares of one price, to buy shares of another price).
- The ability to look at gains and losses.
- The ability to track my contributions and my companies matching contributions to the account.
- All tracking and inputs to at least 4 decimal places.
I know I had more but I guess this will do for this Portfolio problem for now. Though a possible "budgeting tab" would be cool as well.
Guess I want it all.
Thanks,
Pete
pete

Re: Portfolio Manager and 401K or IRA type accounts

Postby mthadm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:50 am

Hello,

We are actively working on the Investment part of MyMoney, the Portfolio Management funcitonality is going to be split into a separate product line called Portfolio Analyst that will enter into a beta program very shortly. The rationale for this being that there are many customers that don't want or need the cashlfow management aspects of MyMoney yet need powerful investment tools

To answer your questions:

The precision is arbitrary, it is rounded to 2 places just for the display purposes. We certainly can add an option somewhere that specifies to how many digits should the numbers be rounded within Investments.

The prices could be entered manually through Update Prices-Manual Update. Does that not work for you?

We are going to add interfund transfers with corresponding shares disposal/additions, this is the pipeline

Thanks
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.
Please do not provide this information when using our contact form.

My Money download page: http://www.mthbuilt.com/download.html
My Money manual: http://wiki.mthbuilt.com/My_Money_2.0_Manual
mthadm
Site Admin

Re: Portfolio Manager and 401K or IRA type accounts

Postby pete » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it another try and look at the Manual update you talked about. But I'm pretty sure I was already trying this.
I saw that the .66 build had Analyst in beta, but my subscription expired on the 14th. So i can't play with it. Maybe we shall see some forum posts to get a feel for how Analyst comes along.
It seemed to me that for some reason the rounding to two places (though for display only) actually changed the share amount. I'm using the MAC version if that matters at all.
Again, thanks for the reply, and hope you are able to bring Analyst out of beta soon.

Pete
pete

Return to General Discussions and Announcements