Suggestions

General Discussions and Announcements

Suggestions

Postby gmorrison01 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:07 pm

I have recently started using My Money after many years of using MS Money. Overall I am very pleased with the software. That said, I do have some suggestions/observations.

1. Transactions that I have marked as "Cleared" or are electronic downloads are not marked as cleared when I reconcile the account with the bank statement. This was one of the great things about MS Money - If I kept up with the electronic downloads and/or manually marking transactions as cleared, statement reconciliation was a snap. Now in your product I have to re-mark the transactions as cleared when I do the reconciliation. Why the double work? :?
    2. When I would download the bank transactions and load them into MS Money, it would add any new transactions and use its matching algorithm to show me likely matches. I could then approve the likely matches or keep them separate. If the imported data did not match any transaction, I could manually match transactions. None of this exists in My Money. I found this feature set very handy. But this also goes with my next point....
    3. When a imported transaction (from the bank web site) is matched with a transaction in the register in MS Money (automatically or manually as described in point #2), the transaction was marked as "E" (Electronic?). That transaction would stay marked as "E" even if i manually changed the payee or changed the category. For My Money, if a transactions is imported and shows up as "Electronic" then if I edit any part of it the "Electronic" designation goes away. Also any preexisting (manually entered or entered from the calendar) transactions that match exactly are never marked as "Electronic" which is most frustrating. :(

I hope that you can tell me that some or all of these features are present and that I am "not doing it right" or that the features can or will be added in a future release. I think these features would make My Money much nicer to use (even if the behavior I suggest is only enabled in the Preferences/Options dialog).

Please let me know if you need further clarification on any of these points.

Thanks!
gmorrison01

Re: Suggestions

Postby mthadm » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:27 pm

Hello,

You are doing it right - the moment E(lectronic) transaction is manually edited it will revert it status to manually entered, to reflect the fact that the editing has taken place

We are not aware of how Cleared functioned in MS Money, would it simply change the status of Cleared and Electronic transactions into Reconciled in reconciliation dialog? It does seem like a good idea

Thanks
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.
Please do not provide this information when using our contact form.

My Money download page: http://www.mthbuilt.com/download.html
My Money manual: http://wiki.mthbuilt.com/My_Money_2.0_Manual
mthadm
Site Admin

Postby gmorrison01 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:00 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I hope you consider revising how/when an electronically imported transaction reverts to a manually entered transaction. Certainly editing the amount of a transaction, the check number or the date should clear the "E Flag" as this would make the transaction fundamentally different than what came from the bank. But changing a Payee from "DUNKIN STORE #300 POS" to "Dunkin Donuts" (which, I would argue, should add the synonym ""DUNKIN STORE #300 POS" to payee named "Dunkin Donuts" as a part of the same operation) does not, IMO, change the fundamental characteristics of the transaction w.r.t. what the bank has.

Yes, you are precisely correct. When I would reconcile a MS Money account with my bank statement, all Electronically downloaded transactions and any transactions that I manually marked as "Cleared" would be marked as Reconciled (as long as the transaction date was on or before the date of the statement, which like with My Money, was entered in the dialog at the start of the reconciliation). The rest of the reconciliation activity was quite similar to what My Money does today: all the transactions after the previous reconciled date are displayed and I can manually mark (or clear) the Reconciled state of any transaction so that the difference between what is in the software and what is on the bank statement goes to 0. As I said in my original post, this made reconciliation a 10 second operation if I faithfully kept up with downloading account activity (which I do).

I do appreciate your careful consideration of my suggestions and I hope some of them bear fruit. Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks!
gmorrison01

Postby mthadm » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:09 pm

Pre-reconciling cleared/downloaded transactions is a great idea, wish we thought about it ourselves. Keeping the E and adding a synonym when payee changed manually also makes sense

We will put through both suggestions, will take a bit to have everything tested, may be a month or so

Thanks,
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.

mthadm
Site Admin

Postby mthadm » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Hello,

We published build 89 which has changes to the reconcilation workflow and electronic transactions, please take a look when have a minute

Thanks
---
MTH Software

mthadm
Site Admin

Postby stretch1100 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:57 am

Hello,

I feel the need to have some imput here too!

I also used MS Money for a number of years and had similar problems when starting to use My Money.

My solution was to stop "downloading" statements from my bank and just have the statement open in my browser and "compare and Reconcile." Possibly a little more long winded than downloading but found it easier than having My money doubling up on transactions already entered.

As I am now on build 89 maybe I should revist the downloading scenario and see how My Money Admin have manged to cope with this.

We must try and remember as has been politely pointed out to me in the past "My Money is not MS Money." I do sympathise with My Money Admin as I am sure their budget is a little smaller than the people who created MS Money. Yes there is some small problems here and there but I like their work. It is the closest program I could find to MS Money in behaviour and feel that in time we may look back and wonder why we ever used MS Money.

Cheers
stretch1100

Return to General Discussions and Announcements