MSMoney import drops transactions

General Discussions and Announcements

Re: MSMoney import drops transactions

Postby Zoolook » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:54 pm

mthadm wrote:We have had a prototype for this approach at some point and we decided to drop it.

The reason is that most people convert years worth of data, we have had cases going back to 1992, literally tens of thousands of records, and we found out that poping up dialog asking to identify each transfer transaction manually results is abandoned conversions.

OK, but you wouldn't have a pop up dialogue for every transfer; you'd have a matching system that would try to reconcile every potential transfer and the user would scan through quickly and simply remove the one's that are incorrect.

I know what you mean about MS Money, where if you're paying a mortgage, part of the split goes to the principle and the account, and the other part(s) go to various categories, or even other accounts, but even so this should work, because the system would be able to identify the split that went to the account, and the category that is marked as 'interest' would remain as a category. I could try and do a mock up in excel and put it here.

do you really have transactions in your register on the same day, drawn on the same amount, with the same check number or a memo ? The only few times that this happens are typically some sort of a cash withdrawal entered manually or cash adjustments also entered manually. It is easier to resolve on a case by case basis, which is why we are troubleshooting the above case.

I have a few - some subscriptions I have, that my wife also has, look like dupes. But the really big one is my 401(k) where there is employer matching deposits and purchases. Now I know you don't have a securities module yet, but when you do, think about how to make this easier.

So I get paid twice a month and I'll have two identical transactions going to my 401(k), a pre-tax contribution from me (taken from a split in my payroll) and a direct contribution from my bank (which is a payroll contribution also, but not part of my gross income). From this, I then make my 'buys' in the 401(k) account, which are always in exacty duplicated pairs. This is the only way my tax gets correctly calculated, hence the slightly long winded approach.
Zoolook

Postby rkm » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:29 pm

Having gone through and rec'd one account against MSMoney, as well as the missing dupes I identifed earlier (8 instances) I also found that a few split transactions had lost one of the splits. All of this form

,2007-05-03,Company,,Account,,Payslip,20.9800
,,,,,Shares,Wages & Salary : Bonus,6937.6400
,,,,,,Taxes : Income Tax,-2775.2000
,,,,,,Taxes : National Insurance,-69.3700
,,,,,Shares received,,-4072.0900

Although the sum of the transaction is 20.9800, the line in red doesn't get imported and the deposit amount shown in My Money is 4093.07.

Then I moved on to another account and found that where I had done three transfers of the same amount to different accounts on the same day (six adjacent rows in the export file), only the last of the three has been imported and neither leg of the previous two transfers made it. Out of 48 accounts only three of them have matching balances to MSMoney, and I noticed that the currency of my dollar accounts has been changed to GBX.

The biggest problem I have is finding out what doesn't get loaded up. Neither app supports a sensible format to do a manual tick'n'bash exercise and doing it on screen is painful. While I can export to MS CSV-8 from both, the format doesn't match so I can't sort and diff the output either.

Should I give up?
rkm

Postby mthadm » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:41 pm

Lets do one step at the time, clearly 48 accounts is the most challenging conversion we have had to date

We still have the duplicate issue from few days ago that we will be giving you a private built for tomorrow.

We will take the incorrect split as issue #2. By the way, out of 10 split entries there only 4 have values, why is that ? Is it the way you keep it in Microsoft Money or it happens when you generate the report ?
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.
Please do not provide this information when using our contact form.

My Money download page: http://www.mthbuilt.com/download.html
My Money manual: http://wiki.mthbuilt.com/My_Money_2.0_Manual
mthadm
Site Admin

Postby mthadm » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:30 pm

The reason this split gets dropped is because it is missing Category, which is normally required on splits.

If you look carefully you will see that "Shares Received" is actually in the memo, not category section.

We will post a fix that uses memo field if one is available, which will take care of this issue.

We are still looking at your duplicate situation.
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.

mthadm
Site Admin

Postby rkm » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:33 pm

I realized that the dropped split isn't categorized. MSMoney complains if you don't categorize a single transaction (but still lets you do it) but doesn't raise a murmur if you don't categorize a split, and that row is simply to deduct the value of the shares I received so I didn't bother inventing a category for it. The rest of the blank rows are the way MSMoney exports a "Payslip" transaction - nothing I'm doing I'm afraid.

I've been trying to create smaller files that replicate what I'm seeing but I can't get the import to fail.
rkm

Postby mthadm » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:55 pm

Please check your private mail, we just released a private build that should fix 3 issues:

1) Allowing duplicates through when Lookup Date Window is set to 0 days, per your sample your cashpoint transactions should be duplicated now

2) Allowing invalid splits through, this is the case when you record shares purchased into split without filing a category. Please note that we will use your memo as a category. If you don't have a memo/category/payee we will still not allow this split through

and

3) Sorting exception thrown when 2nd import is attempted.

Please let us know how it goes,

Thanks
---
MTH Software

mthadm
Site Admin

Postby rkm » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:28 am

Thanks for the build. (1) and (2) are indeed good. (3) still throws.

Going through the other accounts I realized that for many of them I simply needed to update the initial balance and they lined up. This is a limitation your recommended MSMoney export procedure, since it doesn't include any initial or running balance information.

Another issue that I've found is related to transfers between accounts with different currencies. These two lines in the csv file relate to a transfer between a GBP and USD account and result in two debits from Bank and two credits into Brokerage:

,2007-03-09,,R,Bank,,Transfer To : Brokerage (USD) (Cash),-600.0000
,2007-03-09,,,Brokerage (USD) (Cash),,Transfer From : Bank,1145.5600

Probably another tough (impossible?) one to crack since MSMoney doesn't give you much of a clue that it quanto'd the transfer into dollars. I don't have many of these and they're very easy to find, so I can live without a fix for this one.
rkm

Postby rkm » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:45 am

Something I missed from my last post, I still have two mysterious dropped transfers. From the following block:

,2003-01-20,Bank 1,R,Current,Test transfer,Transfer To : Card 1,-10.0000
,2003-01-20,Bank 1,R,Card 1,Test transfer,Transfer From : Current,10.0000
,2003-01-20,Bank 2,R,Current,Test transfer,Transfer To : Card 2,-10.0000
,2003-01-20,Bank 2,R,Card 2,Test transfer,Transfer From : Current,10.0000

,2003-01-20,Bank 3,R,Current,Test transfer,Transfer To : Card 3,-10.0000
,2003-01-20,Bank 3,R,Card 3,Test transfer,Transfer From : Current,10.0000

The two red transfers don't make it. I think these are the only dropped transactions I have left.
rkm

Postby mthadm » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:07 am

We will take a look, but it sounds like you did most of the conversion already and the rest is manageable ?

Microsoft doesn't give any indication of what was the rate used on multicurrency transfers, so I am afraid that needs to be resolved
on a case by case basis. My Money has capabilities of recording the proper exchange rate once it detects that transfer is between accounts denominated in different currencies, you can download most recent rate automatically from forexes or you can enter it manually for historical transactions.

We will update the doc with the note about open balances.

We are still looking for #3

Thanks
---
MTH Software

mthadm
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussions and Announcements