Two Major Concerns, One Suggestions

General Discussions and Announcements

Two Major Concerns, One Suggestions

Postby Jaywalker » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 pm

I downloaded 2.0.50 today for my MacBook, OS X 10.6, dual processors, and began manually entering checking account data from my previous account balance statement.

I have two major concerns, either of which could prevent me from continuing with the program:

1. I was unable to enter a check entitled "Cash." Why? That's the term I wish to use, as I've used it for many years.

2. I would like the capability to enter a check for 0.00 amount and track it as "VOID." This will allow me to track all my checks in order to ensure I have not forgotten to enter some by mistake.

I have a suggestion, also:

I will manually enter checks once or twice a month, so most of them will not have the same date as the day I enter them. I suggest you default the check date to the last manual entry. For instance, I'm living now in 10 January, and am entering checks from December - I enter 27 December, and begin to enter another check for 27 December (a lot of bills paid on one day, perhaps), but I have to enter the 27 December each time I enter another check into the register. MS Money 98 recognized this and defaulted to 27 December. On a related tack, perhaps you could allow "27 Dec" as an a valid entry, and allow the program to recognize that it probably means "2009" of it's within two months or so.

Thanks.
Jaywalker

Re: Two Major Concerns, One Suggestions

Postby mthadm » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Hello,

1) My Money requires Payee/Category/Date/Amount for check to be considered valid. You can create a new Payee -Cash, assign it some Category (Banking:Cash Withdrawals for example) and use it for your cash transactions. Many of our customers actually use Transfer to transfer out to specifically designated Cash account and track their Cash spending through there. You can arrange your Cash tracking any way you see fit.

2) We don't support zero amounts. The reason for this is that we try to follow banking workflow, you generally can't draw a check with a zero amount or have a transaction with a zero amount. Please enter a regular transaction first and change its status into VOID, it will be removed from your balance calculations and you still can track the original amount.

If you are doing this just for check tracking purposes you can switch the status into Pending, it is designed just for this purposes. You can always change into Cleared (or entered) when your bank clears it and then into Reconciled when you close your books at the end of the month

3) We are evaluating the default check date suggestion as it has been requested before. We will most likely add another option to default either to today's date or the date of the last numbered check.

Thanks,
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.
Please do not provide this information when using our contact form.

My Money download page: http://www.mthbuilt.com/download.html
My Money manual: http://wiki.mthbuilt.com/My_Money_2.0_Manual
mthadm
Site Admin

Postby Jaywalker » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:07 pm

Thanks - those will work.

For some reason, the use of "Cash" as payee did not trigger the normal payee identification window popup.

I'll run the rest of the checks through and balance the account. If that works, I expect I'll be a buyer and will post the "It Could Be Worse" blog, where I learned about MTH.

BTW, I'm impressed with the support.
Jaywalker

Postby Jaywalker » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Okay, I tried both approaches and the one that works best for me is to "void" the transaction while "show(ing) all transactions." That allows me to see all check numbers while keeping a running balance.

Are you aware the running balance doesn't update if you have entered numbers 525, 526, and 527, then void 526? I had to change the amount of 527 and enter, then re-enter the proper number. It then updated.
Jaywalker

Postby mthadm » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:31 pm

No, we weren't aware of this update problem. We will try to recreate it,

Thanks
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.
Please do not provide this information when using our contact form.

My Money download page: http://www.mthbuilt.com/download.html
My Money manual: http://wiki.mthbuilt.com/My_Money_2.0_Manual
mthadm
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions and Announcements