OFX Import problem

General Discussions and Announcements

OFX Import problem

Postby alphie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:51 pm

I have a problem importing OFX statements from a particular credit card company. Of all the UK credit card companies I know, I've always felt they were the most technologically competent. They do allow download in several other formats including QIF, which works OK (subject to the limitations of the format). When I attempt to import a download OFX file, I get a message to say "Unable to download OFX data", "Invalid response received from the bank".
alphie

Re: OFX Import problem

Postby mthadm » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:58 pm

If you want us to troubleshoot this problem then we would need to see the OFX data.

Before sending it in please sanitize it, remove account numbers, passwords, personally identifiable information.

Thanks,
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.
Please do not provide this information when using our contact form.

My Money download page: http://www.mthbuilt.com/download.html
My Money manual: http://wiki.mthbuilt.com/My_Money_2.0_Manual
mthadm
Site Admin

Re: OFX Import problem

Postby alphie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:05 am

Thanks for looking into this for me. I didn't consider the fact that the file might be non-compliant given it was downloaded from Barclaycard, the oldest and on of the biggest credit card companies in the UK. After your email I did a Google search and, sure enough, others are having similar issues. I then had a look at the OFX specification for the first time and I can see that the whole BANKACCTFROM is missing and many of the date formats are incorrect as you mentioned in your email. Makes me wonder what the point in a standard is. I'm sure this wouldn't even pass the simplest DTD validation (if it was actually based on one of the newer versions of OFX that has a DTD).

I'll contact Barclaycard to tell them they're misrepresenting their service by telling their customers that they support the OFX format. I'm sure they'll get their best developers onto it straight away(!) Sorry to have assumed MyMoney was at fault here.
alphie

Return to General Discussions and Announcements