AppStore v/s MTH Download

General Discussions and Announcements

AppStore v/s MTH Download

Postby twodogron » Mon May 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Please, can anyone tell me if there are any restrictions or unavailable options on the latest AppStore version of MyMoney when compared to the latest MTH Download version ??
Mac OSx Mountain Lion
twodogron

Re: AppStore v/s MTH Download

Postby mthadm » Mon May 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Hello,

Both versions contain the same functionality, we update Appstore at the same time we publish out into MTH websites:

Important differences are:

1) Updates:

When updates are published into Appstore then MyMoney purchased through Appstore is updated automatically using AppStore update mechanisms

No such functionality exists for regular versions, it is not difficult to update but it is a manual process

2) Sandboxing

Any software published into Appstore is sandboxed. This is a MacOS system limitation and not MTH Sofware product feature.

What it means is that MyMoney purchased through AppStore has restrictions on read/write access to the file system. For example, it can can read and write only to those files which the user has explicitly chosen via the standard save and open dialog respectively.

This has implications on the number of databases that one can create or backup logic for example

No such limitations exists for non-Appstore versions

Thanks
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.
Please do not provide this information when using our contact form.

My Money download page: http://www.mthbuilt.com/download.html
My Money manual: http://wiki.mthbuilt.com/My_Money_2.0_Manual
mthadm
Site Admin

Postby twodogron » Tue May 21, 2013 6:14 am

Thanks for the information, before considering the AppStore I try to clear such questions with the Software Developers first, thanks again.
To be perfectly honest I really don't understand Mac's Sandboxing technology. I just configure my Preferences to allow any software download I feel is safe, original and genuine.

However, I have two specific questions concerning the AppStore version if I may please :

a) Will I be able to create more than one data file (Database) from the File>New>New File.... Menu ? (I need to create a minimum of two and store them anywhere I determine within my onboard filing system).

b) Will I be able to Backup to any location I decide either on my Internal HDD or to an External source ? (after backing up locally to my HDD I currently rely on both "Time Machine" and "SuperDuper" for my remote backups, both external locations).

Although I cannot now find any reference to the above questions I'm sure I read something previously about both on one of the Forums,..... somewhere...........

Many Thanks.

I'm running Mac OSx 10.8.3 Mountain Lion on an iMac Desktop.
Mac OSx Mountain Lion
twodogron

Postby mthadm » Tue May 21, 2013 9:04 am

>> a) Will I be able to create more than one data file (Database) from the File>New>New File.... Menu ? (I need to create a minimum of two and store them anywhere I determine within my onboard filing system).

Yes you can but there is a serious limitation - even if you create a new database MyMoney will not be able to open it automatically - you will need to open it yourself manually through File-Open menu every single time you start MyMoney.

This is because sandboxed applications (such as MyMoney purchased through Appstore) do not have access to the file system and every time there is a need for such access it needs to be initiated by the user through standard File Open dialog.

>> b) Will I be able to Backup to any location I decide either on my Internal HDD or to an External source ? (after backing up locally to my HDD I currently rely on both "Time Machine" and "SuperDuper" for my remote backups, both external locations).

Yes you can but, similarly to the above, you will need to specify backup location every single time you run backup to gain access to the file system. No automated backups are possible

Appstore versions have non-trivial system limitations, if you are not sure what to get please get a version from us directly

Thanks
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.
Please do not provide this information when using our contact form.

My Money download page: http://www.mthbuilt.com/download.html
My Money manual: http://wiki.mthbuilt.com/My_Money_2.0_Manual
mthadm
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions and Announcements