My Money 2 Beta install doesn't work

General Discussions and Announcements

My Money 2 Beta install doesn't work

Postby ras » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:38 pm

Today I downloaded the My Money 2 Beta (mymoney-setup-nojre.exe) and, in administrator mode, installed it to my XP Home / SP3 desktop. I then switched to limited user mode and looked for the application, for it failed to create either a clickable desktop icon or a start menu entry. I then went to the \Program Files\MTH\My Money folder where the application was installed and tried to directly execute the mymoney.exe file. The following error message popped up:

"Unable to open file: C:\Program Files\MTH\My Money\mymoney.boot parseConfigFile failed with error 5: Access is denied. Please reinstall the application."

I wasn't any more successful using a java -jar command on the jar file -- my java is rusty and the usual "Class Not Found" messages came up.

What to do? How about making available a non-beta trial that really works?

ras
ras

Re: My Money 2 Beta install doesn't work

Postby ras » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:47 pm

Whoever packaged the install doesn't seem familiar with MS Windows. The app was installed as though to run in administrative mode -- not a proper approach for what is clearly a user app. Thus, the desktop icon and start menu entry were attached to the administrator rather than put in All Users, which is where they should have gone. I suspect the security error I got on attempted startup reflects a similar erroneous orientaton toward the administrator.

-ras
ras

Postby ras » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:56 pm

I went back into administrative mode and ran the application onetime there. That apparently did the initializations that limited user mode wouldn't allow. After that, I was able to run My Money 2 in limited user mode without further problem.

Hat tip to user ras for solving user ras's queries.

Yuk, yuk.

-ras
ras

Postby mthadm » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:28 pm

-ras,

thanks for troubleshooting the issue, we will update the manual,
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.
Please do not provide this information when using our contact form.

My Money download page: http://www.mthbuilt.com/download.html
My Money manual: http://wiki.mthbuilt.com/My_Money_2.0_Manual
mthadm
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions and Announcements