Transfers

General Discussions and Announcements

Transfers

Postby cadiolis » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:40 am

I am just wondering about the functionality of transfers. If I have made a transfer from my chequing (that's the canadian spelling ;) ) to savings, then do an import, and then mark as each as a transfer (using the 'Transfer' item in the Payee dropdown). Now this single transaction is counted twice in both accounts. Am I expected to delete one of the transactions? Or is there something I am missing?
cadiolis

Re: Transfers

Postby mthadm » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:00 am

MyMoney uses double entry accounting, meaning a single transactions can appear twice, as a debit on the first account and as a credit on the second account.
This behavior is modeled after regular T accounts with debiting side known as a left account and crediting side known as a right account.

If you delete left side of the transaction then it will be deleted from the right side automatically, you don't need to do anything special

Split-transfers are also resolved automatically, e.g. if you have a split transaction that transfers money to or from multiple accounts on the right, deleting or updating any part of the parent transaction will update said accounts. Deleting or updating any parts of the transaction on receiving accounts will update parent transaction automatically.

Most import formats don't have necessary information linking both legs of the transfer, for example if you are importing one account at a time MyMoney will not be able to establish the connection between the transactions, in which case you need to manually clean your data. You can convert left leg of the transaction into transfer for example, and on the right use merge transactions to manually match imported data to your newly created second half of the transfer.
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.
Please do not provide this information when using our contact form.

My Money download page: http://www.mthbuilt.com/download.html
My Money manual: http://wiki.mthbuilt.com/My_Money_2.0_Manual
mthadm
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions and Announcements