New user - Questions & Observations

General Discussions and Announcements

New user - Questions & Observations

Postby smninos » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:56 pm

Switching accounts moves register selection to top of register
When I switch from one account's register to another, focus is moved to the top of the register

Scrolling register - sometimes slow & somewhat uncontrollable
When scrolling the register one has to be careful to scroll slowly or scroll seems too fast

Renaming rules-Manage list of downloaded names
How do you mange the list of downloaded transaction names?

Reconciling account-Finish later
It would be handy to be able to "Finish Later" once reconciling has begun rather than having to start over

Reconcile-change transaction type
When reconciling one has no option to change the downloaded transaction from withdraw to transfer

Split Transactions-Tab doesn't move between fields
When splitting transactions the tab doesn't activate the next field.

Reconciling credit - amount owed automatically inserts a minus making the amount positive

Reoccurring transactions - setup
It seems a bit counterintuitive to have to create a transaction in the register in order to create a reoccurring/ scheduled transaction

Register-Custom sorting-trans date; deposits; withdraws
The ability to create a custom filter would be nice. Sort on one criteria than by another, etc...

Running Balance Column
It seems to me that the running balance should follow the sort. If I add a previous transaction the balance should reflect that transaction yet it doesn't.

Sync w/ iCal
Is there a way to sync upcoming transactions with ical? How about reminders? Maybe a widget?

Having just come from Windows it has been very frustrating trying to find a financial app. I think I may have found as close as possible to what I am looking for in MyMoney. Thus far it has been the best for me and the least frustrating. You're doing a great job. One question about the license though, at what point would one need to by a new license. I guess I mean version wise. How many versions is the license good for?
smninos

Re: New user - Questions & Observations

Postby mthadm » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:50 am

Many of those comments were brought to our attention earlier, upcoming build 41 does address many of them, specifically:

smninos wrote:Switching accounts moves register selection to top of register
When I switch from one account's register to another, focus is moved to the top of the register

Build 41 added a new option to position the focus to the last entry when switching between accounts

smninos wrote:Renaming rules-Manage list of downloaded names
How do you mange the list of downloaded transaction names?

We don't keep a database of downloaded names or rules, the names are resolved as needed. Please take a look at our wiki article http://wiki.mthbuilt.com/Data_Matching_Algorythm on how the names are matched. It could be a little technical, but will give a good overview of the process.

smninos wrote:Reconciling account-Finish later
It would be handy to be able to "Finish Later" once reconciling has begun rather than having to start over

Build 41 introduced a "Postpone" reconciliation just for this scenario

smninos wrote:Reconcile-change transaction type
When reconciling one has no option to change the downloaded transaction from withdraw to transfer

Normally if you put a negative sign in the amount field it flips the transaction type. We will double check the reconciliation workflow.

smninos wrote:Reoccurring transactions - setup
It seems a bit counterintuitive to have to create a transaction in the register in order to create a reoccurring/ scheduled transaction

Build 41 introduces a new "Bills and Deposits" feature that deals with this issue, you don't need to memorize an existing transaction any longer in order to create a recurring transaction and you can change the details of recurring transactions at any time

smninos wrote:Running Balance Column
It seems to me that the running balance should follow the sort. If I add a previous transaction the balance should reflect that transaction yet it doesn't.

There is an option to control the way balances are calculated, one of them is "Follow the sorting in register". Does that not work in your situation?

smninos wrote:Sync w/ iCal
Is there a way to sync upcoming transactions with ical? How about reminders? Maybe a widget?

Yes there is but we haven't released it yet. It is being tested at the moment. We plan on adding connections to few calendars actually, priority is Google and iCal

We will study your list to see if we can reproduce the other issues and will get back if we need more information

smninos wrote:Having just come from Windows it has been very frustrating trying to find a financial app. I think I may have found as close as possible to what I am looking for in MyMoney. Thus far it has been the best for me and the least frustrating. You're doing a great job. One question about the license though, at what point would one need to by a new license. I guess I mean version wise. How many versions is the license good for?

Licenses are good perpetually, but we limit how many version updates each license allows. The limit is based not number of versions but on a elapsed time, at the moment we sell licenses that allow updates for 12 month, we are planning 18 month and 24 month licenses as well.

The software would still work beyond the initial 12 month or 18 month period, but you will not be able to upgrade to newer versions. We release new features constantly, our development methodology calls for very short release cycle that averages about 5 weeks between version updates
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.
Please do not provide this information when using our contact form.

My Money download page: http://www.mthbuilt.com/download.html
My Money manual: http://wiki.mthbuilt.com/My_Money_2.0_Manual
mthadm
Site Admin

Re: New user - Questions & Observations

Postby smninos » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:35 am

One of the best features of the software is the quick and through responses. Thank you for keeping customer service alive.

As for the "Follow the sorting in register" working for me.... the balance seems to follow the entry it originated with no matter what I have my preferences set to.
smninos

Return to General Discussions and Announcements