Category Report Problem

General Discussions and Announcements

Category Report Problem

Postby bluestarmkm » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm a new mac user that is trying to switch over from MS Money to My Money. I was able to import all the transactions for my checking account. I then needed to run a report for my health care expense for the previous year. MS Money has the category "Health Care" with subcategories of "Prescriptions," "Dental," and "Physicians." Some of my transactions are put in the main category while others are more specific in those subcategories.

When I ran the report in My Money, I selected the category "Health Care." It generated a report that had all the transactions listed under health care, prescriptions, dental, and physicians listed under the "Health Care" as well as the subcategories broken out. Everything was totaled at the bottom of the page. This created a problem since the total amount included double entries for the prescription, dental, and physician subcategories. I had to back out the double charges. Very irritating.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to this?
bluestarmkm

Re: Category Report Problem

Postby mthadm » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:25 pm

What happens if you select only subcategories, skipping the main "Health Care", will you miss too many transactions ?

Perhaps it makes sense to move transactions without subcategories into their buckets, if you don't know what it was or don't care to break it down further just create a new subcategory under Health Care, call it General and rerun your reports

My Money has a function to search and find transactions with missing subcategories, it is under View menu, you can easily locate and fix transactions with missing subcategories
---
MTH Software

Reminder: MTH Software employees will never ask for the username and password for any of your banking or credit card accounts.
Please do not provide this information when using our contact form.

My Money download page: http://www.mthbuilt.com/download.html
My Money manual: http://wiki.mthbuilt.com/My_Money_2.0_Manual
mthadm
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions and Announcements